Saturday, November 21, 2015
Lord I lift your name on high....even in the midst of suffering and uncertainty.
One Thursday night in September a very tired and weary, young Nigerian man, Aiden (not his real name), came in to the Oasis and promptly fell asleep. He was a refugee only recently arrived in Austria and there were no beds at the refugee camp nearby. Carol offered that he could stay the night at the Oasis in our emergency accommodation. I was at home when asked if I could come in and stay at the Oasis overnight with Aiden. I begrudgingly went to the Oasis because I had things to do and preferred my more comfortable bed. When I arrived at the Oasis that night I didn't meet Aiden as he was already in his room, most likely fast asleep. However the next morning I awoke to the sound of singing coming from his room. I could hear this young man was both singing and crying. It was hard to tell if his tears were from joy or sorrow or both. This is the song he was singing through his tears.
Lord I lift Your name on high
Lord I love to sing Your praises
I'm so glad You're in my life
I'm so glad You came to save us
[Chorus:]
You came from heaven to earth
To show the way
From the earth to the cross
My debt to pay
From the cross to the grave
From the grave to the sky
Lord I lift Your name on high
In my heart I was immediately ashamed of my attitude and humbled by the joy and faith of Aiden.
Who knows what this young man has been through.
I immediately phoned my wife and she explained that Aiden's mother is a Christian but his father is Muslim. How difficult his life must have been growing up in that situation. I set to work to serve Aiden as best I could.
For his breakfast I bought some breads and baklava. I made some tea and set his breakfast on the table. Through his teary eyes he smiled and said "thank you sir". I think he was really saying in his heart thank you Jesus. I gave him a donated mobile phone, a prepaid simcard that Carol had bought and some money to buy lunch. I gave him my phone number and explained the Oasis practical helps we offer then I asked if I could pray for him. He said yes and in the blink of an eye he was on his knees with his head bowed. I joined him and prayed with him. God is good.
I praise God that I was able to do this small thing for him. As always Jehovah-jireh, the Lord provides.
Why is it when there are few hardships when life is going well do we stop praising God and become more concerned about ourselves? Pray for soft hearts to follow Jesus and serve with joy and gladness those He brings across our paths.
P.S. We never saw Aiden again. Pray for him and his family.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Oh, to have a heart like Aiden, praising God even in the midst of difficulties; remembering to thank God for the smallest of blessings. Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment