Wednesday, February 3, 2010

A Chechen Widow


Last night at the Women’s time, Oasis
I sat at a table with several older grandmas and saw how they watched intently as we hurried around getting coffee and tea for the 25 women that came to our Oasis monthly program. After serving my table I sat and chatted as I wrote their names out. Yafatia, a Chechnya grandma of 9 grandkids, took the lead in the discussion. We talked about our kids and grandkids; with the little Russian I know we begin to share. One could see Yafatia was a very dignified educated woman. It did not take long for her to communicate that she had lost her husband, two sons and her brother in the war in just the last few years. She is like many of the Chechnya women that come to Oasis- refugee widows. Tears welled up in her eyes as she went on with her story. By now she lost me, I understood not a word. I could only pray and try to put myself in her place; I touched her hand and cried with her. I wondered as the rest of her life, the stories of the other 3 grandmas sitting with us….
The program last night included a baking demonstration for a classic Austrian pastry and each table had a chance to get their hands in the dough, they loved it. (Later they ate the tarts they made) After the project came a story, with Russian translation, of the 10 lepers from the book of Luke. We share where it comes from and why we tell stories from our Holy book.
As the night came to an end I found my way back to her table, but now with a Russian Translator. I shared how I know it must be very hard in the camp not to cook for your family. I asked Yafatia if she understood the story.. Her head scarf was now falling off her head as she began to speak her own short story. She shared that she was in Moscow after the World War 2, walk on the street-- an Orthodox priest was collecting money for the building of a church, as she was rich, she gladly added to the collection. Then the story just jumped years and years… ahead for she said, “never did I think I -- a Muslim would be being cared for and loved by Christians like this. I am overwhelmed.”
I tell you this brief story as it is a tiny part of one hearts sorrow. What can we learn from it? What is the work here about if not simply to reflect the Love of Jesus in word and deed? I have ministered to Chechnya war refugees now for 7 years, they are deeply Muslim. Thousands come through our doors for clothes, programs such as the above, but we rarely see an open door to a heart. We plant seeds and they move on as they are transferred all over Austria to smaller housing places. Last night, I personally invited all the women to come this morning to view the Jesus video. (How good if they could only see the whole story.) I prayed much last night but the Chechnya women did not come. You see there is a fear that our story could be true, our book could be true, then there is a decision…… Fear cripples Muslims. PRAY for the spirit of fear be driven away from their broken hopeless hearts.

0 comments:

Post a Comment