Sunday, March 14, 2010

On my mind...

When I think that I shall not see

those faces one more time

Those freckle-spattered cheeks

and wide open solemn eyes…

Knowing they’ve been sent back,

against their wills

To the maelstrom they not long ago escaped.

Where terror creeps along the streets

In the wee hours of the morn

With heads covered in black ski-masks.

Men of all ages disappear.

A rumor, and sometime less, is all it takes

to sentence them to a painful death.

Fathers, sons and brothers.


But everyone knows

those tortured bodies are somewhere…

waiting to be found.


And so these dear ones fled,

yearning for a new place to call home.

Only to find they must enter the storm again….


When I see those tired faces

Of mothers young and old

With their fatherless children

whose hope is all but gone

And our brief encounters…

I pray....that they find Him

who lifts all burdens from weary hearts.


Tom Richards

1 comments:

Maureen said...

I think of "my" Albanian family and I wonder if they are still in Austria or if they are among the ones who have been sent back. How I pray that they and all the others who are deported will know that the God of Heaven sees and cares and weeps.

Post a Comment