Wednesday, June 15, 2011

That's why we're here...


"God values each person. We do as well, and without limit. We go to extraordinary measures to bring the knowledge of Christ's transforming love, in word & deed, to refugees. That's why we're here."

Monday Clothing Room: the Extraordinary is as simple as gifting a hand massage to the refugee women who are waiting to go into the clothing room. When there is no way to share in a common language, it is amazing how touch is connected directly with and through His Spirit of love.
As I ask the older and younger women waiting if I can give them a hand massage, no one says “no”. For some it is a first experience. Some of the response I have heard over time are as follows. “I am not married, and so no one touches me with such gentle love and kindness, thank you”…. Another: “would you also massage my feet”.
Most often it is a big smile, and that is enough. Once as I prayed for the women whose rough old hands I was massaging, my team mate Christiana was sitting near and told me a little of the womens life. This Chechen women, a recent widow, was a grandma just like me, but she had 21 grandkids, and some were great grandchildren. If my tears could have missed with the hand cream it would have revealed my hearts cry for God’s mercy. Most likely she has lost to war many of men in her life, brothers , sons and maybe grandsons. This I know for I have heard this story repeated again and again from Chechen women.
I use this precious, simple act to pray for the women, and I ask you dear readers to do the same.
Julie Soltis

0 comments:

Post a Comment