Thursday, September 29, 2016

I wish I knew...


A young refugee (under 18) showed up at the Oasis and without German or English was asking for food and a place to sleep.  My first thoughts after such requests, is “Why do they need these things?”.  Without language in common, I was unable to determine why.  Because he was asking for a place to sleep, I recognized, he needed more long term help than I could give.  Why was he not in the regular refugee camp?  I don’t know.

 I walked him to another local organization who helps refugees who are not accepted into the local refugee camp.  I told the workers what I could understand.  They made a couple phone calls and determined he had chosen not to show up when he was supposed to be transferred to a place where he would have a place to live/food and get to go to school.  Why did he miss these transfer opportunities?   I don’t know.

The social workers phoned another person who spoke Pashtu, the language of this young man.  Through the interpreter, they explained he needed to be in front of the camp tomorrow morning and would be transferred to a place where he could live and go to school.  As the social worker was asking me if he could stay overnight at the Oasis, the guy walked outside with his friend.    We can occasionally help people like this, but usually only for one night.

The social worker explained that she would print a letter for this refugee to use in the morning to help explain his situation to the officials.  Just then another social worker came back inside and said the guy left.   I went outside and looked up and down the street and couldn’t see him anywhere.  Where did he go?   I don’t know.

Did he know we were going to find a place for him to stay overnight?  I don’t know.
Will he show up tomorrow morning at 8:00 for the transfer?  I don’t know.
If he chooses to miss that transfer, what will he do for food, a home and a future?  I don’t know.

What was going through the mind of this young teenager as he walked away from those who were trying to help him?  

I wish I knew.

Dan Lincoln


0 comments:

Post a Comment