Friday, October 5, 2018

coffee with two guys from Bangladesh

Last night's cafe house at The Oasis was a special time, with our main room almost packed out with guests from many countries: Iran, Armenia, Afghanistan, Bangladesh, and elsewhere. As for me (Ken) I settled down for a cup of tea with the two guys from Bangladesh, who spoke English proficiently. One has an advanced degree as a textile engineer! Such a joyful evening it was, with the Farsi speaking group making a point to come on time so that they could finish watching "The Gospel of John," which they had started last week (it is a three-hour movie). Meanwhile, Leila was clearly having a good time of fellowship with her fellow Armenians around a big table, other one-on-one conversations were happening around the room, and I was hearing a little bit about life in Bangladesh from my two new friends from there. We got refills on our tea from Herman, our faithful coffee and tea server, and thankfully they liked the idea of watching The Magdalena Movie (an abridged version of The Jesus Film, only 80 minutes long... if you have not seen it, it is available online for free, in 163 languages! click here: link to the Magdalena Movie website) We are blessed to get to show that film in some of our four rooms setup for it each Thursday. As for last night, it was unique in that there I was, a follower of Jesus, with one Hindu and one Muslim from Bangladesh, watching a film about he life of Jesus. I shared further about things afterwards, with the Hindu guy asking me, "what do you do as a Christian, do you have to pray three times a day? five times a day? how do you be Christian?" A great question. Of course I shared about the grace of God, that it is not about how much WE do but rather about what Jesus HAS done, and I think he understood, but please do pray for this young man. He was happy to receive a New Testament in Hindi, and the other gentleman accepted the book of John in Bengali (he did not say very much after the film, but I was happy that he accepted the offer to read John). Please do pray for these guys, because only the Lord Himself can really open their eyes that they might see who Jesus is, and believe. thanks! -Ken 

0 comments:

Post a Comment