Last Monday night, I slept on the couch. Not because of sicknes and not because of any disagreement :). I slept on the couch at the Oasis, as host to two refugees who needed a place to stay for the night. While the Oasis is not able to house refugees long term, we can help when there is a immediate and short term need (1 or 2 nights).
Perhaps giving a refugee a nights stay, could be seen as the 2 loaves and 5 fish a little boy had to give to Jesus. It was all the boy had--it was all the disciples had (and they hadn't even bought the bread or fish!). It was all Jesus had...to BEGIN WITH. There are many situations similar to this that I see us in, at the Oasis. We only have a little to give—a bible, a room, coffee, a shirt, a pair of shoes... We don't have all the answers nor all the resources to all the struggles the refugees face. But we give what we can and trust and pray for Jesus to multiply what we give.
One of the refugees that stayed overnight lives in another nearby city as he awaits his refugee status. He was to appear at the Austrian Official Offices for refugees on this past Tuesday morning at 7:30. But to reach this city from where he lives, is not so easily possible so early in the morning. So, we offered to him the possibility to stay at the Oasis, which is only 5 minutes walk from where he would have his interview at 7:30am.
Just after this first refugee arrived, the door bell rang. I answered it, and it was another refugee who needed a place to stay. I think his story was similar with a meeting the next day, although I didn’t understand everything. We have another small room with a couch and he was happy to be able to stay in that room for the night.
Although it is May, the night that night was rainy and a bit cold, so both men, I’m sure, were glad to be able to stay inside for the night. Many times we also provide breakfast for them in the morning before they leave.
Dan Lincoln
0 comments:
Post a Comment