Friday, November 12, 2010

Sometimes we have one day sometimes years

With some refugees, who get transferred nearby, I have years with them to build relationships and share Jesus with them...with others I have but one day or moment...like with Naya.

It was Naya's 3rd day in Austria and her first time in the Oasis. A former refugee family from her homeland brought her to the Oasis to introduce her to us at Coffeebar. Naya is in her early 20's and was the only refugee from her country in the refugee camp. That night I was able to give her a free winter coat. At the end of the evening as she was saying goodbye she asked if she could borrow a puzzle since it is so boring in the camp- all day with nothing to do. I said no problem. Then I asked her if she would like to go hiking with me the next day. Her face light up. Yes! So I met her the next afternoon and took her by train down to Baden. She told me that she had an appointment in Baden on Monday at a laboratory and she didn't know how to get there. She only had an address. So we got a map and I showed her how to get a train ticket and where to get off the train and how to get to the laboratory. She was so thankful. She had been so nervous and scared about how she would find her way to this appointment and then God provided. Then we went to a beautiful park in Baden with lots of woods. It was a beautiful Fall day with blue sky, sun, and the peak of the Fall leaf colors. We walked for several hours through the woods stopping at various lookout points. Naya is an English teacher in her homeland, but she had never spoken English with a native speaker. None of her teachers in university had been native English speakers. She actually had never really spoke much English, just reading and writing. She told me she comes from a village and her parents are farmers and she spent most of her time working on the farm with her family so they could survive. She told me she was so surprised that we gave her a Free winter coat and a free cup of coffee the previous night. She said in her homeland nothing is free. This opened the door to share with her why the Oasis is here, how we are able to give things away and the love of God. We had a lovely walk together and talked about our families, our interests. At the end of the day Naya's face was beaming and she couldn't erase the smile from her face. She said it was a wonderful day and a day that she will Never forget.

I invited her to return to the Oasis on Monday for Clothing but Monday came and Naya did not come. She was transferred...moved on. So we had a day together. But I trust the Lord to use that one wonderful day in Naya's life.

1 comments:

Maureen said...

A beautiful story of God working in the ordinary events of a day to open an opportunity to share His love. May someone come along to water your words in Naya's heart.

Post a Comment