Thursday, March 17, 2011

THE CHALLENGE WAS...

Recently I was sitting with 6 guys from northern Africa countries— Morocco, Algeria, West Sahara, Tunisia (MAWST for short). These guys were indeed very friendly. I started the discussion, asking about their countries.

The whole MAWST group are Muslim. I listened to ALGEOG (not his real name) as he described his country and their lack of tolerance for religious people. He praised the USA for its religious freedom. In a few small sentences, I painted the real picture of the USA where the name of Jesus is being deemed worse than certain 4-letter words and thus cannot be spoken openly on TV--unless it is used AS a 4-letter word, curse word. He was surprised. Then ALGEOG went on to say that Muslims, Jews, and Christians are all on the same good path.

When you are surrounded by 6 guys who are larger than you and you know they are all Muslim, do you disagree with them? Is it really wise to openly opose them? Is it possible to speak the truth in love and gain their respect? Well, I admit, I had a little fear about what to share. But they were indeed FRIENDLY guys and I wanted to share with them the truth of the love of Jesus—which is contrary to their Koran and contrary to the idea that “ALL WAYS LEAD TO HEAVEN”.

MY ANSWER: “Well, actually, Muslims, Jews, and Christians have some huge differences, that can pose serious problems…” The group got quiet, with a little bit of a surprise look on their faces. I don’t remember all that I said, but I was trying to tell the story I know: Who Jesus is, What Jesus did, and What Jesus said.

BUBBA (not his real name) was the biggest of the MAWST group and he stood up to speak, which meant he towered over me. He even pulled out his pocket-Koran (much smaller than he was) and talked about it. I was then asked if I had read the Koran…”ME: No, but I have heard many speak about it…”

THE CHALLENGE: The challenge was to stay in the discussion with these guys who were willing to listen and dialogue. The challenge was to speak the truths I knew about Jesus. The challenge was being willing to admit, what I didn’t know about the Koran. The challenge was to keep the discussion going.

THE TRUTH: If this were just a human debate, I lost. They presented evidence (the Koran) that I did not know well. BUT, if Jesus is the Christ, the son of God, then what I shared was powerful TRUTH beyond human debate.
And in spiritual terms, the whole MAWST group heard the gospel. Not that I was able to share every detail--rather, what I shared is part of WHO JESUS IS and WHO GOD IS and therefore, the whole MAWST group now has spiritual truth that will battle with the forces that call them to believe in the Koran.

Ephesians 6
12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.

I am confident, not in my own knowledge, which can be lacking—I forget and still have much to learn. But rather, I am confident in that which I share, which is the Word of God. My CHALLENGE in the discussion with the MAWTS group was not to WIN the argument. My CHALLENGE was to stay in the discussion and speak the truth about Jesus.

Dan Lincoln

0 comments:

Post a Comment