Friday, February 20, 2015
Followers of Jesus
At the Oasis we often tell people we are followers of Jesus. We continue to learn from Jesus and we want to share what we have learned. Last night, I saw one of our volunteers discouraged by a tough conversation he had. But as he described the conversation, I saw that he SHOWED he is a follower of Jesus. I could see how he SHOWED the love of Jesus, even in a difficult discussion. My conversation with the volunteer went a little like this:
ME: How was your conversations tonight?
VOLUNTEER: Terrible
ME: Why?
VOLUNTEER: There was this one guy who kept saying things that were not good. I was having to speak very strongly and directly at him.
ME: Were you answering him by telling him he was a bad person?
VOLUNTEER: No.
ME: Were there other refugees watching the conversation?
VOLUNTEER: Yes.
ME: Then, you did exactly what Jesus would do. You showed the love of Jesus, even in the middle of a tough conversation. The person who was causing the difficult conversation AND those also sitting nearby saw WHO WE ARE: Followers of Jesus. We show love even in the tough conversations.
END NOTE: This volunteer is also a refugee himself and an evangelist for Jesus. Anytime he is at the Oasis, he is talking to many refugees in his own language, about who Jesus is and encouraging them to read God's Word. I am very thankful for such faithful volunteers as him, who knows the same language of so many refugees we see right now.
Praise God with us for faithful volunteers at the Oasis!
Dan Lincoln
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment